PASSAGE DE DRAKE S
Like many developments at Czapek, much of the impetus to create an Antarctique in 38.5mm. came from the desires of Czapek’s “rare people” – the collectors, shareholders and partners who form a close-knit community around the brand. It was only natural that the successful launch of the original 40.5mm Antarctique in May 2020 would be followed by a smaller case size – one that would be more adaptable and elegant; more comfortable on slimmer wrists.
“Our greatest challenge was that the original Antarctique had turned out to be so right. For Antarctique S it wasn’t a question of just reducing the case; we had to do something as excellent as the original,” says Xavier de Roquemarel, CEO of Czapek.
To create a case 3mm smaller than the original design was not just a simple matter of shrinking; starting from scratch, the case had to be totally re-engineered and the codes rewritten to ensure that all of the proportions work perfectly – not least the ratio of overall thickness to the new diameter. The 38.5mm case is defined by the same taut lines that characterise the original Antarctique but now the sides are flat, rather than cut away, and the shoulders protecting the crown have been subtly pared back – simplifications that achieve better visual balance in the smaller dimensions. And Czapek’s attention to detail went beyond just the visual: the weight of the watch on the wrist had to feel appropriate to its reduced size.
The result is fresh, sporty and chic. Like its big brother, Antarctique S has a strong character but there’s nothing extravagant or showy about it. The creativity is all in the detail – and on the dials, where atypical colours and intriguing textures provide the backdrop for strongly sculptured indexes.
The Antarctique S will initially be offered with a choice of two dials, all created in partnership with the dial specialist Metalem.
Czapek’s signature ‘Stairway to Eternity’ pattern is presented in Glacier Blue and Salmon, the three-dimensional stamped surface of the trapezoidal motif creating a play of light and shadows across the dial. The former appears to alternate between pale blue and silver with the movement of the wrist, and latter from a soft peachy tone to a richer, almost honeyed shade of salmon.
Since the unveiling of its base movement in May 2020, Czapek & Cie has been continually making improvements to its automatic caliber SXH5 to enhance its precision, performance, and aesthetic. The most recent upgrades raised the train efficiency to 90% to fully wind the single barrel and deliver the impressive 60 hours of power reserve. This is a significantly longer autonomy than the average of high-end sports watches.
But there’s more. An additional strap is provided, as Czapek has developed an exclusive quick-change system allowing the wearer to switch from one strap to another in a minute. A large choice of straps is now offered to provide a maximum versatility and playful experience. 4 rubber straps whose pattern recalls the "Stairway to Eternity" design on the Passage de Drake dial are available in either black, white, dark blue or dark grey.
PASSAGE DE DRAKE S
- Hours, Minutes & Seconds
- Date at 6 o'clock
- Calibre SXH5: Czapek's in house self-winding mechanical movement
- Diameter: 30 mm – 13 lines ¼
- Height: 4.2 mm
- Number of parts: 193
- Jewels: 28
- Swiss lever escapement, variable-inertia balance fitted with four gold inertia-blocks
- Frequency: 4 Hz – 28800 VpH
- Power winding system: Micro rotor with an 100% recycled platinum mass
- Power-reserve > 60 hours on one single barrel
- Barrel torque: 8.8 Nmm
- Finish: Open ratchets, sandblasted black bridges, bevelling, straight-grained sides, six hand-chamfered inward angles
- Luminescent, steel "Sword" hands
- Stainless steel case
- 38.5 mm diameter
- Height: 10.6 mm
- Sapphire crystal glass-box with anti-reflective treatment ARDur©
- Sapphire crystal case-back with anti-reflective treatment
- Water-resistance: 120 meters (12 atm)
- Screwed-down crown
- Integrated stainless steel bracelet with Czapek exclusive "Easy Release" system and micro-adjustment device
- Additional rubber strap
- Stamped “flinqué” dial with the exclusive, officially registered “Stairway to Eternity” pattern
- Luminescent, rhodium plated steel hour makers
- Conception: Daniel Martinez, Adrian Buchmann, Emmanuel Bouchet, Patrick Rossi & Xavier de Roquemaurel
- Components and movement manufacturing: AB Product, Arcofil, Atokalpa, Ceramaret, Chronode, CMT-Rickenbach, Comblemine, Crelier, Generale Ressort, Inca, Inodeco, Inhotec, MLV, MPS, Novasort, Precipro, Risa, Stocco and as well a few standard components.
- Habillage: AB Product, Capsa, Econorm, Gravages, HMS Waeber, Jean Rousseau, Metalem
- All Passage de Drake S models are priced 19'500.- CHF excluding VAT
- Prices in USD is 22'000 USD and includes the 3% cost for duty, the delivery in Connecticut and the shipment to your final destination.
TERMS & CONDITIONS AND PRICES
In this section you will find all the useful information about pre ordering your Antarctique Passage de Drake S.
Dear Watch Lovers,
The new Czapek & Cie was born in 2015 with the intent of re-establishing the name of Francois Czapek with beautiful, exceptional watches, and to open the doors of haute horlogerie to as many watch lovers as possible. Over the years, the community around Czapek has steadily grown. The launch of the Antarctique, back in 2020, has strongly accelerated this growth, and now we find ourselves in the situation of not being able to cope with the high demand of timepieces from this collection.
We are therefore truly sorry to inform you that we have taken the difficult decision to close the Antarctique order book for one year. The decision will only affect the Antarctique Passage de Drake and Antarctique S models. All other collections remain available. Also, Passage de Drake and Antarctique S orders taken until now are confirmed, our objective is to honor all of them before the end of 2024.
We plan to start taking Antarctique orders again at Watches and Wonders 2023. In the meantime, we are doing our best to accelerate our manufacturing pace. We are moving our Atelier to a new, bigger, facility in La-Chaux-De-Fonds, we are hiring people, and are re-organising our work and procurement with our Partners to assemble more watches.
We keep the same creative, audacious, and transparent spirit that animated us over the past six years, and our commitment to haute horology quality, values, and culture. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any feedbacks or questions using dedicated button below or send us directly an email at email@example.com. And now let the Next Chapter begin…
With our kind regards,
The Czapek team
If you have any questions regarding this subscription or the models available, don’t hesitate to contact us or one of our agents using the form below. Simply choose your country or area and send your message. They will come back to you quickly to assist you.